Sunday, April 01, 2007

Seeders

I'm starting seeds for my garden. Today I did some broccoli and tomato seeding in some peat pots and egg cartons, and last week I did some bell pepper and zucchini in peat pots. I'm hoping this will extend my season enough so that I can finally get some fresh ripe tomatoes from my garden! That's still my goal... third year's a charm, I hope.

Last year I found that seeding in the peat pots made it near impossible to control the moisture, so I've planted the seeds in the pots individually, then planted the pots into a compost/soil mix. This worked fairly well last year, almost a 100% success rate, so here's hoping for the same. I'm actually being reasonable this year and trying not to overseed since it breaks my heart when I have to kill the excess sprouts so young. I hope this is not too few: 9 broccoli seeds (one fell out into the big pot), 6 tomato, 2 zucchini, and a bunch of pepper seeds since they don't do as well.

Spring forth and prosper, little ones!

No comments: