Sunday, April 15, 2007

Springing Sprout


Some of my seeds have sprouted! The broccolinis are doing extremely well; almost every one sprouted up, although a few did not survive. I also have a couple of tomato and pepper sprouts, although I may have crushed one of the tomato when I accidentally dropped the curtain on it.

I also decided to seed some greens in my little garden plot today. I sowed some Catalina Spinach, Buttercrunch Lettuce and a couple of Chinese cabbages, Bak Choi and Choi Sum. Afterwards, I realized that the Buttercrunch and Chinese cabbages were in the same spot in the plot as last year. Too late -- I'd forgotten to plan ahead and rotate! I'm hoping it won't matter since the cabbages failed last year anyway. Last but not least, I planted some Red Butterworth lettuce and more spinach in some containers outside on the deck. I'm curious to see if they will grow better and faster in the theoretically warmer container soil.

Coming up, beans and cucumbers! I just bought the seeds about a week ago, on the advice that they're rewarding and easy to grow. This will be a nice challenge for my brown thumb.

No comments: