Friday, September 21, 2007

Look Ma! Spray Millet!

It looks like I've managed to make my very own homegrown birdseed after all!

After letting some of the pointy mystery seeds that I blogged about in July mature, we did a taste test. Once the birds figured out how to extract the seeds from the outer husks, they loved munching on it! I put some photos up in yesterday's post, although they were actually shot last month. Unfortunately, the monster squirrels grabbed most of the pointy seed heads for themselves, so the birds only got one or two. I also grew some oats, but the squirrels also ate that all up before I could harvest it for the birds.

Last week, though, I noticed a new kind of seed growing in my soil! Look familiar to anyone?

Yay for spray millet! The birds love it! They were just finishing up this one today!

Now I just have to figure out how to keep the squirrels away from the birdseed long enough for the birds to eat them!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting dicovery.. can you post a picture of your whole garden?

Anonymous said...

Wow, I wish I have a garden too.

S said...

Yes, I'll post a picture of the whole garden for everyone to see!

Anonymous said...

Hope someday I can enjoy the garden together with you!