Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Meditations

I'm not usually up at 6 in the morning but today I woke up just after 5, after about 4 hours of sleep. Only. My brain woke me, tortured by thoughts of Descartes's Meditations on First Philosophy, which I've been reading again lately.

I think I referred to the Meditations back in a previous post when I said I was reading something not very engaging. Well, the good news is, the Meditations are a bit more compelling this time around. The bad news is, its problems and inconsistencies, which seem irreconciliable at this point to me, are troubling enough to be encroaching on the quality and quantity of my sleep.

For the next hour, I tried to relax and fall asleep, but Descartes kept haunting me, so I gave up and decided to do some yoga for an hour. Thankfully, after the exquisite corpse pose, I'm feeling more relaxed and centred now and my head hurts less. At this rate, I'll either be the most flexible girl around, or the most sleep-deprived.

I am accustomed to sleep and in my dreams to imagine the same things that lunatics imagine when awake.
- Descartes

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is wise to turn your time from "non-productive" to "productive".