Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Training Days

I've started Operant Conditioning with the birds. This came about when a certain bird who will remain nameless (let's say, Bird B) starting flying outside despite an explicit understanding to the contrary. "No wings outside" was always the rule! To be fair, he was startled into flying when a small flock of wild birds took off, and he just went with the fly and flapped upwards. A panicked bird flies pretty hard so he quickly ended up in a tree, probably 20 m up. Then B couldn't get back down; he'd try to fly down and instead would end up in other, higher trees. Flying down at a steep angle is apparently much harder than flying up at the same angle. We were finally reunited after much coaxing and roof-climbing, and I thought he had learned his lesson from all the screaming panic and stress. But, nope, it soon happened again, and each time he seemed to enjoy winging about a bit more. I've posted a picture -- see if you can spot the flyaway cockatiel stranded in this idyllic scene.

I decided to start the clicker conditioning with B, in hopes of training him into coming when called. We also started flight training with steeper descents. The clicker training's been going well so far. Bird C has taken a surprising interest in it, to the point where he was surpassing Bird B, and B would fidget and look jealously on as C was getting all the treats! I now have the natural Model/Rival situation which has worked so well for Dr. Irene Pepperberg and her genius Grays like Alex, without even needing a human dummy!

At this point, I'm not sure who is being trained better: the birds at touching the target as I intend, or me at dutifully feeding them treats whenever they deign to humour me.

Training is everything. The peach was once a bitter almond; cauliflower is nothing but cabbage with a college education.
- Mark Twain

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Please continue to post results of your study. Particularly their progress with Step 3 of your training. Are you using the Fisher Price figures as targets? It looks like both Bird B and Bird C are still as intelligent and curious as ever!
BTW - Where is the bird in the photo posted in your last entry?

S said...

Sure, I'll keep posting the observations of my ongoing study as long as someone's reading! I think there will be plenty to teach the birds, as long as I don't run out of props and ideas.

I'll post a higher res picture of the "Where's Waldo?" of cockatiels for you, too! I'm not ready to give away the secret yet -- let me know if you find him!